No more right click terminal

Sun Jul 17 20:37:28 UTC 2005

Le jeudi 14 juillet 2005 à 09:54 -0700, Jesse Keating a écrit :

> What users could hope for is that those representatives of the Gnome
> development group within @redhat could be the voice of @redhat's users,
> so that the gnome group doesn't get more and more joe-random-opinion (of
> which to ignore), they can get a more aggregated user base opinion from
> vendor representatives.

+1

Red Hat involvement in Gnome is both older and deeper than in some of
the projects that have been officially blessed in this thread.

Moreover a distribution is not merely a build farm. A distribution is
about gracefully integrating software bricks. Good defaults are
distribution decisions first and upstream ones second - full GUI may be
good at the Gnome level, but at the distribution level with all the text
apps it's madness.

(and I won't even write about RHEL which serves as the foundation of
various closed apps that haven't moved out of GTK1 land yet, and will
start registering in the Gnome menu in 5 years at best)

Alternatively we can move to a fully Gnomified Fedora and excise
forcefully all non-gnome apps, as I'm sure this is fully in line with
the aims of whoever decided to remove this menu entry¹

¹ Stupid proposal to show how upstream best interests are not always the
ones of the distribution

--
Nicolas Mailhot