No more right click terminal

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Sun Jul 17 20:53:41 UTC 2005

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>Le jeudi 14 juillet 2005 à 09:54 -0700, Jesse Keating a écrit :
>

>>What users could hope for is that those representatives of the Gnome
>>development group within @redhat could be the voice of @redhat's users,
>>so that the gnome group doesn't get more and more joe-random-opinion (of
>>which to ignore), they can get a more aggregated user base opinion from
>>vendor representatives.
>>

>+1
>
>Red Hat involvement in Gnome is both older and deeper than in some of
>the projects that have been officially blessed in this thread.
>
>Moreover a distribution is not merely a build farm. A distribution is
>about gracefully integrating software bricks. Good defaults are
>distribution decisions first and upstream ones second - full GUI may be
>good at the Gnome level, but at the distribution level with all the text
>apps it's madness.
>
>(and I won't even write about RHEL which serves as the foundation of
>various closed apps that haven't moved out of GTK1 land yet, and will
>start registering in the Gnome menu in 5 years at best)

Not just proprietary applications. Many open source projects like the
loki installer will probably never move out of GTK1. ABI/API
compatibility isnt just about proprietary apps at all. Thats another
dicussion that should happen in a different thread though.

>Alternatively we can move to a fully Gnomified Fedora and excise
>forcefully all non-gnome apps, as I'm sure this is fully in line with
>the aims of whoever decided to remove this menu entry¹
>
>¹ Stupid proposal to show how upstream best interests are not always the
>ones of the distribution

I agree with all of this. I have cited places where blindly following
upstream is *not* the right policy but in this case I think the decision
is pretty focussed on the target audience which doesnt include people
involved  like any kind of development or system adminstration task.
Again if people have good use cases for including the option by default
in the desktop context menu I dont think anybody would turn a blind eye
towards that. Remember every feature has a associated cost. See HP's
article on this

http://ometer.com/features.html

regards
Rahul