gnome-user-share

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Jul 18 00:46:20 UTC 2005

I've started a new thread because this discussion was going to get lost
in the 200+ message thread-o-doom.

So so far we have the introduction of gnome-user-share, which uses an
http process dynamically bound to a port running as the user to share
stuff in a ~/Public file to the world w/out auth. It sounds like
gnome-user-auth will go into core.  The restrictions have been put
forth:

* Functionality is provided by a package and removed by a package, w/out
core deps.

* Functionality is controlled by a gconf entry which an admin can set to
mandatory off (or just remove the package)

Some ideas that have floated for this package include:

* Functionality disabled until a file is placed in ~/Public prompting
for a dialog box informing the user that the share is now active, with a
link to more help in this.

* Gnome-panel icon to show state of sharing with a timeout value to stop
the share (configurable)

* Integration with network-manager to enable/disable the share on
specific networks

Thoughts?

Was I helpful?  Let others know: