No more right click terminal

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 18 15:33:26 UTC 2005

Colin Walters wrote:

>Completely, totally disagree.  Every time a non-developer/non-sysadmin
>has to use the terminal for something is a bug.

    If that's the case,  you've got a lot of bugs to fix.

    I've been burnt so many times by bugs in Red Hat's GUI stuff that I
just don't have time to waste with it.  I think of the guy (in a message
last week on this list) who had NetworkManager blow out his resolv.conf
settings...  Every time I hit "Ok" on one of those screens,  I'm afraid
that it's going to lead to a disaster that's "Not Ok".

    All the time I see friends struggling to figure out how to do
something in the GUI,  and I have them open up a command line and get
the job quickly,  and correctly the first time,  even coaching them over
the phone -- /etc/sysconfig is a Red Hat introduction that I like a
great deal -- a little bit of time spent learning how to navigate there
means you can configure RH machines easily,  X Windows or not.

    Maybe it's better now than it used to be,  but I'm set in my ways.
If RH manages to ship GUI tools that work 99.99% of the time rather than
80% of the time,  maybe a new generation of people will start using them.