Rawhide updates & Fonts

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sat Jul 23 21:52:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 17:27 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 7/23/05, Rodd Clarkson <rodd at clarkson.id.au> wrote:
> > I think it's fair to say that things have improved and that the fonts
> > look very nice now.  However, this may be because I've grown used to
> > them now, but I don't think it is (since the '-' doesn't have a little
> > 'growth' on top of it).
> >
> > Most of the above comments are based on fact, with a little tongue in
> > cheek thrown in for good measure. ;-]
>
> Its very hard to talk about rendering issues unless we build up a
> flipbook of screencaptures that show the differences between different
> package builds in a standardized way.  I suffer from the same
> perception issue when it comes to rendering details.. I just fail to
> notice rendering anomolies as problems and just get use to them unless
> they can be pointed out to me.

Yeah, agreed.  Perception is a dangerous comparison tool. ;-

The biggest 'tell' for me that things have improved is that the '-'
character now looks like it's a single row of pixels, instead of looking
like two blurry rows.  This one stands out because I used to wonder why
Mac OS X handled it so badly given that 'their' font rendering was
supposed to be so good.

I will say this about perception of font rendering.  I (until recently)
worked in a mixed desktop environment with graphic artists.  Desktops
were mostly Mac OS X with a couple of Windows desktops and my GNOME
based linux box.  Comments were made (and I had thought the same thing)
on numerous occasions about how damned fine the fonts looked on my
desktop and how (from those who knew) how well the OSS community had
done with the AA stuff.  I was actually amazed at how often Mac users
would comment about how nice my fonts looked.  (Kudos to Owen and team
on this!)

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"