Firefox binary plugins on x86_64

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Thu Jul 28 16:08:07 UTC 2005

Christopher Aillon wrote:
> Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> somehow Firefox in SuSE 9.3 supports 32bit plugins on x86_64.
>> [...]
>>
> I just spoke to Wolfgang Rosenauer at SuSE (maintainer of their firefox
> package) who says you're mistaken.  SuSE ships both the 32 and 64 bit
> versions of the browser on x86-64 precisely for this problem, which I'm
> pretty sure we do as well.

Sorry for the confusion.  The SuSE machine where I've seen
this happening was upgraded from i586 to x86_64 by playing
dirty tricks with RPM packages, much like I've recently done
with my Fedora workstation.

In fact, that x86_64 SuSE system was actually still running
the i586 package of Firefox!  Sorry for all this confusion.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/