Yesterday's rawhide sunk my iBook

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Jul 28 21:41:57 UTC 2005

On Thursday, July 28, 2005 3:48 am, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> After applying yesterday's rawhide to my iBook, the system is quite
> thoroughly toasted. After yum was finished, ssh'ing into the
> machine no longer worke, and neither did logging in at the local
> console. Rebooting the machine hangs after the initrd is processed,
> seemingly failing to execute /sbin/init.
>
> My suspicion is that a very low level library is botched (glibc or
> selinux). Trying to chroot() into the system from an old YDL 3.0
> install CD (the only CD what would boot on PPC I found on short
> notice) fails, just producing segfaults, but YDL 3.0 is quite
> old, of course, and still running 2.4. Will try and get a
> FC4 install CD today and try again.
>
> PS: The system does not use selinux.

I noticed the same thing when I updated my PowerBook yesterday.  The
machine wouldn't even reboot after the 'yum update' was complete; after
'starting nash' I didn't see any output.  I had to boot from an old FC4
CD and recover.

What I found was that glibc was apparently busted (everything
segfaulted), along with ld.so, libk5crypto (fixing those fixed the
'Illegal instructions' I was getting) and maybe one or two others.  I
had to copy them from my boot image, install a new kernel and initrd,
and reboot to downgrade to the older glibc.  I didn't see any errors
during the upgrade either, so I'm not sure what went wrong (though the
logs are probably still there).

Jesse