What next? LDAP

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Jun 2 02:36:31 UTC 2005

--On Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3:53 PM -0400 David Hollis
<dhollis at davehollis.com> wrote:

> Now that the directory server is starting to trickle out, I'd love to
> see that incorporated with some form of administration tool.  I've done
> a bunch of LDAP setups in recent months and can now finally manage it
> from command line/LDIFs but it really doesn't have to be that tough to
> get a simple directory setup.  The great part about it is that once it's
> setup, it can do quite a bit and even act as an Active Directory domain
> controller which is really a beautiful thing.

Agreed. I'm trying to get up to speed on deploying OpenLDAP together with
the Samba schema to get single sign-on and a global address book, but it's
been tough marshaling all the HOWTO's to figure out what's really required.
I went down a wrong path using the PADL scripts bundled with OpenLDAP
(because I failed to select the "enhanced" schema in the common config
file) and they also fail badly on the /etc/services file due to the
presence of Apple protocols. So far the best information for initial setup
seems to be in the HOWTO's at <http://samba.idealx.org/>, but I'm still
working through it to understand how to migrate my existing setup.

I'd recommend that anyone starting out get the smbtools from idealx and
also get phpldapadmin set up on Apache to maintain the thing and get a more
visual understanding of how things are organized. Hopefully volunteers will
step forward to bring these into Extras.