Smart package manager (was Re: Making update functionality more usable (Was: Re: What next?))

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Fri Jun 10 15:31:27 UTC 2005

Hmm.

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 20:29 +1000, Mike MacCana wrote:
> 1. I'd like to add smart install to Extras.
>
> - It's written by the author of Synaptic and principal maintainer of
> apt-get for RPM
> - Its a replacement for yum / apt-get / up2date / synaptic / etc.
> - It has both a CLI and GUI interface.
> - The GUI version is GTK2, and looks exactly like Synaptic (oddly enough
> being written by the same author).
> - It works with Yum metadata repositories.
> - Its faster than yum and apt-get as it downloads from multiple sources
> simultaneously.

It's written in Python, too!  Very nice.  Thanks for the tip...

> I've been using it on Rawhide for months and it's fast, simple, and
> reliable.
>
> 2. What's pup? Where can I find out more about it? What's it's
> relationship to s-c-p?

Pup is a project that has as a goal replacing the functionality of
rhn-applet-gui + up2date.  It is not now within its' scope to do ad-hoc
package management like Synaptic.  I know because I asked yesterday on
the fedora config list.

- C