Smart package manager (was Re: Making update functionality more usable (Was: Re: What next?))

Chris McDonough chrism at plope.com
Sat Jun 11 01:15:50 UTC 2005

> On 6/10/05, Chris McDonough <chrism at plope.com> wrote:
> > FWIW, it does appear to handle multilib OK, as I see both i686 and i386
> > versions of the same packages independently.
>
> I think you are a little confused. You need to check to see if it can
> handle parallel installation of both 64bit and 32bit packages while on
> 64bit hardware.

Yep, probably I am. I don't have a machine on which I can test that
simultaneous installation of 32-bit and 64-bit binaries actually works.
But if "multilib" means "the capability to distinguish between multiple
architecture packages for the same component and have the ability to
install each simultaneously or independently", smart seems to be able to
do that just fine.  It takes the architecture into account when
presenting the package listing.

- C