default rpm query format on x86_64

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Wed Jun 29 00:28:23 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On 6/28/05, Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
>
>>>will break A LOT of scripts and other items if you do.
>>
>>Sure it'll break a lot of things, but that breakage is trivial to fix in
>>scripts by specifying alternative queryformat. Dunno if there are
>>commercial non-OSS applications parsing rpm default output but frankly I
>>don't care if they break. OTOH, <shrug>.
>

> I think the idea here that there are potentially many many many
> homebrew sysadmin scripts out in the wild that are relying on the
> default format.  Not sure you'd call the mountain  of steaming
> shell-scriptage 'applications' but they do keep the world from
> exploding.

This quick Perl hack by me would have broken:

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/newrpms/

This program was broken already on multiarch platforms because
it would consider an i386 package a candidate for upgrading
an x86_64 package.  I've now teached it to consider architectures
instead of stripping them away.

BTW, I missed the architecture part in rpm -qa too.  My fix
was adding this simple alias to the global profile:

 rpmqa() {
   rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}.%{ARCH}\n' | sort
 }

\X/  http://www.develer.com/