What next?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jun 1 21:24:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 23:05 +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:59:32PM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 10:20:18PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> > >   desktop - as it is possible with about all other WMs. metacity is
> > >   just inferior). Doesn't have to be Enlightenment, but please... :-)
> >
> > XFCE should be in extras. End of problem

Yes!  I'm using XFCE from Extras on FC3 and am very happy with it.

> So when I install XFCE, do I get the exact same desktop just with some
> added functionality, or do I have to spend some hours of integration
> work so that things "work together" properly again? I tried to go
> down this road with Enlightenment after RH has thrown it out of the
> window and it was pain and I gave up finally.

Whatever customizations you've made for metacity will remain with
metacity.  However, its quite easy to configure XFCE to do almost
everything you can do in metacity.  And XFCE does a lot of stuff that
you simply cannot do in metacity including, for instance, configurable
window edge resistance, the ability to raise windows above the top of
the screen, etc.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD