What next?

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Wed Jun 1 22:15:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 17:46:33 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > BTW., how does osx do installs (just bringing up the meta-file
> > installer thingy again. Feel free not to answer)?
>
> their package system, umm, err, sucks.

99.9% of users seem to disagree with you, judging by how often "Linux
should use appfolders like Macs do" is heard on various forums and mailing
lists.

MacOS X packaging works reliably for end users, 100% of the time, and
from that perspective it doesn't matter how many features it has or
doesn't have, it's better than yum/rpm/any Linux packaging system.

I don't mean any offence to you by the way, yum is a nice piece of work
and I'd agree that the way Apple did appfolders is pretty awful
(launchservices? hello obscure bugs and security holes!) but we shouldn't
use that poor implementation to ignore users experiences.

thanks -mike