What next?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 10:36:48 UTC 2005

> > > - a network server for Evolution (perhaps based on Directory Server?)
> > >   so one can actually use Evolution for time and task management at
> > >   home AND on the road (read: from different machines) without having
> > >   to run full-fledged MS Exchange (sic!) or OpenDUNNOWHATITWAS (Exchange
> > >   clone).
> > *snip*
> >
> > Sounds like Hula to me - not that I've tried it myself
>
> When I looked for a solution a few weeks ago, I've spend some hours
> of googling and reading mailing list archives, and the only thing I've
> been able to come up with was
>
> a) use OpenGroupware!
> b) use Microsoft Exchange!
> c) oh yeah, I'd really like a lightweight server without all the
>    bloat OpenGroupware needs to just store my stuff somewhere
>    accessibly from remote locations
>
> The general consensus I found everywhere was "doesn't exist, or use
> the big ones".
>
> I didn't stumble over Hula at all... interesting. And Hula doesn't do
> contacts stuff. And that's besides calendar stuff what I'd need Evo
> most for - but it does other stuff I don't need, e.g. IMAP4 server
> and webmail etc.

www.hula-project.org

Contacts/address book is coming. The project was originally Novells
Netmail product but they have to scrub the code to get any stuff out
that they can't release as open source for what ever reason and its
taking time but they are getting there. I think the address book code
is one of the next on the list (you can see the remaining list on
their site under scrub list). I think its the most promising open
mail/calender/contacts product out there. Looking forward to the
promised gmail esque webmail/calender interface :-)

Been meaning to try and package this up as an rpm myself.

Pete