What next?

chasd at silveroaks.com chasd at silveroaks.com
Thu Jun 2 20:32:50 UTC 2005

>>> Obviously, double-sided can be done right now. Are dual-layer
>>> *readers*
>>> really that popular these days?
>>
>> Am I missing some hidden joke here? All readers can do dual-layer.
>
> Yes, all DVD-ROM should do that. (But yes, some have trouble with those
> burned in dual-layer dvd-burners)

The main issue is that the only double-layer recordable media available
on the street is DVD+R DL.
There is some DVD-R DL out there now, but it is not common.
The opposite was true of DVD readers, DVD dash whatever came out first,
drives that can read DVD plus whatever came later.
So if you have an older DVD reader ( DVD dash only ), it won't read
DVD+R DL discs.
If it is a stamped, duplicated double-layer disk ( DVD-9 ), _any_ DVD
reader should work, and should be considered a bug in the reader if it
doesn't.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265