What next?

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Fri Jun 3 00:52:12 UTC 2005

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 19:32:15 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> What do you want my thinking on? freedesktop.org was not really based on
> EWMH, that I can remember. I started it by writing the mission
> statement:
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/MissionStatement
>
> well, maybe it's been edited a bit over the years, I don't know. But it
> was roughly like that always.

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure how to start. A website and a mailing
list is fine, but you have to get the right people involved and sometimes
they aren't so visible. I guess for KDE/GNOME that wasn't an issue but
distro developers, especially for SUSE, can be quite hard to track down.

And obviously there has to be something to work on ... some simple things
that can be agreed on easily to get it up and running. I threw out some
ideas there but there might be others that are more important. For one I'd
love everyone to standardise on using pam_xauth, as then ISVs could just
assume su works with X correctly instead of having tons of crappy hacks
like now. But that may be asking a bit much.

There's also the issue of being seen to be competing with the LSB. But I'm
not sure anybody would really care about that.

thanks -mike