dkms coreward for fc5? (was Re: What next?)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 13:57:54 UTC 2005

On 6/1/05, Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:
> Maybe it's time to start the brainstorming for Fedora Core 5 and Fedora
> Extras 5 - what major features are you willing to put effort into?

Now that dkms is in Extras... and fc4 has kernel modules in Core.
How about for fc5 we put dkms in Core and have the kernel modules in
Core use dkms to alleviate some of the sync issues we saw this time
around in rawhide.

I know the kernel module maintainer in Core is trying hard to keep on
the ball about keeping up with the kernel builds, and I have no doubts
that kernel module packages in Core will be made available asap after
an update kernel is released... but i don't think thats always going
to be simultaneous.  dkms could really help out and provide the client
side stopgap during the hours when a critical kernel update comes out
and a new set of clustering kernel module packages are built and
available for updating. This also sets up the groundwork for providing
useful kernel modules in Extras. I fully expect future kernel modules
in Extras to lag a kernel update by a day or two, and having dkms in
Core for Extras packagers to rely on to provide a client side module
rebuild in the lagtime would be useful.

And.. I'm willing to actually help test and implement this with regard
to the core kernel module packages.

-jef"is really just hoping for a heated technical debate"spaleta