Firefox crippling (was: What next?)

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Jun 6 08:25:12 UTC 2005

alan at redhat.com (Alan Cox) writes:

> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 12:30:14PM +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>> why they could not be patched into Ooffice; RH is crippl^Wpatching other
>> programs (e.g. firefox) already, so Ooffice could become a little bit
>
> Actually firefox support for unixlike keybindings is something from
> the Firefox community rather than RH as I understand it.

The broken (windoze-like) keybindings (which appear suddenly and without
prior confirmation although formerly the Unix like keybindings were
active) are probably caused by a Gnome2 misbehavior.

The firefox crippling is the result of %patch25-29 in the src.rpm: it
removes the functionality which allows to update extensions with
potential security leaks, and it replaces the nice looking default
icons with butt-ugly icons from a Gnome2 theme.

There exists a better patch for the first issue (which disables only
the capability to upgrade the application but still allows to update
extensions) but it is silently ignored by the firefox maintainer.

Regarding the ugly icons, I do not see how this change can be justified.
The new icons are objectively ugly, the default firefox icons are much nicer
and there are now some missing icons. So it seems that these icon patches
are only applied to satisfy some brainless Gnome2 ideas about consistent
lookout of applications (which might have different functionality and can
never have the same lookout therefore).

Based on the discussion regarding the "Firefox" branding, I do not see
how the FC4 firefox can be stilled named "Firefox" as it is destroys the
reputation of the project.

Enrico