What next?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Jun 6 20:16:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 15:26 -0700, Denis Leroy wrote:
> Elliot Lee wrote:
>
> >Maybe it's time to start the brainstorming for Fedora Core 5 and Fedora
> >Extras 5 - what major features are you willing to put effort into?
> >

> I'd like to see better laptop support, in particular some sort of
> Profile support as well as better wireless support. Currently to have my
> laptop work both at home and at work (in dual mode), i have to hack
> rc.sysinit horribly to extend the semantic of the 'netprofile=' kernel
> argument so that it also changes the Xorg.conf file, .gconf files, and
> so on.... Also, system-config-network is still an incredibly
> counter-intuitive and confusing tool.

With good hardware [1], NetworkManager works very very well these days.
I expect this to become even better with FC5 (I believe nowadays you
need to manually add /usr/libexec/nm-applet to your startup programs in
GNOME... :-/)

Cheers,
David

[1] : e.g. networking cards with good drivers (and firmware) that are in
the mainline and thus the Fedora kernel. The IBM T41 that I and many
other people at Red Hat uses is an example of this.