What next?

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Jun 6 20:48:45 UTC 2005

David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 15:26 -0700, Denis Leroy wrote:
>
>>Elliot Lee wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe it's time to start the brainstorming for Fedora Core 5 and Fedora
>>>Extras 5 - what major features are you willing to put effort into?
>>>

>>I'd like to see better laptop support, in particular some sort of
>>Profile support as well as better wireless support. Currently to have my
>>laptop work both at home and at work (in dual mode), i have to hack
>>rc.sysinit horribly to extend the semantic of the 'netprofile=' kernel
>>argument so that it also changes the Xorg.conf file, .gconf files, and
>>so on.... Also, system-config-network is still an incredibly
>>counter-intuitive and confusing tool.
>

> With good hardware [1], NetworkManager works very very well these days.
> I expect this to become even better with FC5 (I believe nowadays you
> need to manually add /usr/libexec/nm-applet to your startup programs in
> GNOME... :-/)
>
> Cheers,
> David

Looks like a very nice wireless tool. But by the time i get to the desktop
login window, i.e. way before NetworkManager comes into play, it's WAY to late
to make decisions about profiles: my laptop at work wants eth0 to come up on
boot, because it wants things such as nfs-mounted home directories, ntpd,
dual-screen Xorg.conf and so on. For example, booting my laptop at home in
work profile will result in a boot time of 10 MINUTES for all the stupid
startup scripts to time out and fail and a pretty unusable system. So this is
where we're really lacking imho.

-denis