Fedora Goals -- LSB-compliant/ideal init for FC5+

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 6 20:48:45 UTC 2005

[ Sorry, I'm on the digests, so this response won't thread correctly. ]

  16. Fedora Goals (Rahul Sundaram)

From: Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at redhat.com>
> Hi
> We now have a roadmap page that describes project goals for Fedora Core
> 5.  More information should be added about other major things like say
> the  SELinux MLS plans or the per user /tmp work ,  under a security
> overview (potentially reorganised into layers ) depending on the amount
> of indepth details that could be provided. Its a wiki page so everyone
> including developers working on the major sub systems could pitch in
> with their ideas and comments there.
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC5Future
> If there are things that is planned for the next release or split up
> across versions ,  new "future" pages for FC5+x could be added to the
> wiki. This is just a broad overview of things that is planned to be done
> and not necessarily core stuff or code related. If there isnt enough to
> time to complete it within the current release, one could always push it
> to the next one. It would help the community understand the plans and
> serve as a work list for developers.
> Thanks to everyone who worked on this

I'm a long-time lurker (and long-time general annoyance) to many, but I
would _love_ to start to tackle a fully LSB-compliant/ideal init with
dependency checking, etc... for FC5+.  I probably force bash (and even
legacy Bourne sh on non-Linux) far more than I should (although I'll
break out the Perl and, gasp, C when needbe), so I think this is right
up my part-time (maybe 10 hours/week) alley if I could be any
assistance to the team.

I'm sure some code could already be leveraged from SuSE's dependency
init approach.  When in doubt on anything, LSB and then legacy Red Hat
is the final consideration (i.e., I won't just be blindly forcing SuSE's logic).
I have haven't checked if it's under GPL, but I seriously doubt Novell
hasn't made it such (I'll make sure).

Another option to consider is an "optional" rcS.d directory, which wouldn't
be used by default, but is available for packages that want to drop in
scripts before the run-levels start.  It would be a nice option for those
coming from Solaris, SuSE and others that have it.  But, again, this is
just an idea to create such an option for dropping scripts (tell me to
shelve the idea if its not a good idea right now).

-- Bryan

P.S.  You don't know how many times I've wanted to kill portmapper and
tire of bash statements like:  ;->
 # service nfs stop && service nfslock stop && service portmap restart
&& service nfslock start && service nfs start

And that's assuming I'm not running even more RPC services!  @-p

So damn I'll go ahead put my ass out and get it going!  As I said before,
I'm used to forcing bash (as well as legacy Bourne sh on non-Linux
platforms) to do lots of things C/Perl coders roll their eyes at me for.
So count me in (and who's currently working on this?)!

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org