Firefox crippling

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Mon Jun 6 21:09:51 UTC 2005

Enrico Scholz wrote:
> I do not care whether Windoze or Emacs keybindings are the default
> ones (as long as they can be configured). As expressed several times,
> I am just pissed off by the Gnome2 practice to *override* existing
> installations with their ideas of usability.

You speak for me, this has also been an enormous source of frustration over
the past few years, and filing bugs on bugzilla.gnome.org to ask for better
configurability always result in absolute ignorance. The worst for me was
switching from the 3rd button to the middle button to perform interactive
window resizing, almost impossible to do on a mouse on which the middle button
is a wheel (ie. all Logitech mice). Fortunately, that's an easy enough
metacity patch. I know those are all GNOME issues, but Fedora, being one of
the big Gnome "client" (read, supporter), should have considerable influence
over them. Just as an example, if Fedora were to ditch Metacity, or Epiphany,
or some other Gnome default, based on Fedora users feedback, it would send a
powerful message...

-denis