question about RedHat/Fedora and the GPL

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 09:00:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 14:32 +1200, condition terminal wrote:
> I still see no answer.

There have been plenty of answers

> I see people making jokes of this thread, but no answers.
>
> Why is beehive allowed to not be released under the terms and
> conditions of the GPL when the GPL clearly states that files use to
> build GPL code also have to be released under the terms and conditions
> of the GPL?
>
> ta.

beehive does not effect the build of the package.
an rpm built by my typing

rpmbuild --rebuild foobar.src.rpm

is NOT going to be different than if something else builds it.
The spec file is included in the src.rpm
The spec file specifies the BuildRequires, the configure switches, the
patches (which are in a src.rpm), the install process, the file
permissions.

All that is in the src.rpm and NOT in the build system that happens to
rebuild the src.rpm for distribution.

If that is not what you want to hear, fine - but don't then claim your
question has gone unanswered.