Kudzu API Documentation

Paul A. Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 7 13:04:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 21:38:15 -0400, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
wrote:

> As for using the API, it's deprecated in favor of HAL for use
> for probing for devices; at this point, it's mainly a layer to
> get the proper modules loaded at boot, and will eventually disappear.

	Great,  I've found that one key to a successful Red Hat/Fedora install is

rpm --erase kudzu

	nice to know that you're catching up.

(1) We're about to put a new server in production,  RHEL 4,  and after
running up2date the system became unbootable,  crashing when kudzu would
run.  removing kudzu solved the problem.

(2) I've got a home system that would have kudzu waste a great deal of
time because my toddler would turn the power strips on and off that
supplied a number of USB devices,  in particular a set of speakers -- each
time it flipped state,  kudzu would come up and waste a lot of time,
doing ~something~ that wasn't necessary,  since I've always been able to
plug and unplug USB devices without any help from kudzu,  hal,  or
whatever.

(3) I installed RHL 9 for my wife's sister,  and she complained about long
boot times.  Some investigation turned up a number of useless processes on
boot that wasted a few seconds each,  and kudzu was the worst of them.

	I think kudzu is particularly intimidating to beginning Linux users --
Windows and Mac OS don't get into your face with 15 dialog boxes to answer
because your USB speakers had a hiccup or because your mouse is having
electrical problems.

	I'd love to see good software for detecting and automatically doing
something useful with hotplug hardware (say I plug in my digital camera,
it recognizes the volume id of the flash card and mounts it in a certain
place),  but seeing how much GUI stuff in RH/Fedora has gone on for years
in 1/3-2/3rds working states,  everybody being too polite to say the
emperor has no clothes,  I'm not all that optimistic.