Mirror monitor for meta data repos

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 17:07:08 UTC 2005

On 6/7/05, david <dfarning at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I'm looking at pulling the timestamp from the master about every hour.
>
> If a master version/arch timestamp changes,  I will check evey hour
> until it becomes up to date.
> If a prior version/arch timestamp fails,  I will check evey hour until
> it becomes up to date.
>
> Every {hour | couple of hours] I will check a random version/arch
> timestamp per mirror to ensure that the entire mirror isn't dead.

So you are checking every mirror once an hour after you see the master
mirror timestamp change?  So the time between checking the master and
the time to check an individual a mirror is at maximum 1 hour? You
need to have a state of "unknown" for each mirror between when you
know the master has changed and you have yet to check to see if the
mirror has been updated. You can't assume that a mirror is out of date
until you check that mirror.  Nor can you assume the mirror is up2date
either. Mirrors are simply in an unverified state in the meantime.

> [dfarning at localhost m3d]$ time /home/dfarning/workspace/m3d/mirmon.pl -v
> -get all -c development/core.conf -probes 25
> real    13m12.098s
> user    0m51.962s
> sys     0m31.346s
>
> An update should be pretty quick because the master timestamp seldom
> changes.

that 25 means 25 different mirrors?  How long does it take to do the
whole set of mirrors assuming just x86? Thinking again about the
unverified state for the web page summary... if it takes 15 minutes to
work through a list of mirrors.. you want to make sure that for those
15 minutes the webpage isnt misleading.

-jef