Fedora Goals -- LSB-compliant/ideal init for FC5+

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 7 19:00:00 UTC 2005

From: Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
> Here ya go.

Much appreciated!  Looks like I've been a little more than ignorant on
newer developments.  I thought just a little start-time dependency
checking here, and a little LSB compliance there was all that was
being address.

And I think I'll spend the next few days learning the D-BUS interfaces
before commenting any more.  Definitely agree that this is going to
be a framework that has to be written in C.  I'm fine there, love
system-level stuff (although the same statement by Linus, "I wrote
it in C, but some people might not call what I write C" probably
applies even more so to me).

<soapbox>
Too bad about launchd being APSL.  It's stuff like that, along with
IBM CPL, IPL as well as Sun (insert our acronym today) that makes
me wonder how people can demonize Red Hat, and praise Apple
or IBM (at least we got StarOffice as LGPL from Sun).
</soapbox>

So, I take it Seth's SystemServices is probably going to get the nod
at this point, since it looks like initng is one of those "are we
there yet?"  Correct me if I'm wrong.

> Luke Macken (lmacken at redhat.com) may be looking at some of this
> in the near future.

As I said, I've got up to 10 hours/week to give assistance.  I would be
nice to see Red Hat leapfrog a lot of distros on the init, and set the
standard for the next generation of Linux distros.

> At first, I expect there to be very little UI code here; what's
> needed is the framework.

Yep, I got that from your forward.  That is more in the future when
the back-end is actually working.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org