Fedora Goals -- LSB-compliant/ideal init for FC5+

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 7 19:32:26 UTC 2005

From: Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
> Just the hazy memory of a conversation I had. I'll try to dig up
> some.  It's GPL-incompatible, of course.
> What could be done with it is the same thing that's done with
> launchd; look at the docs/manauls, see the general way it works,
> and go from there. But looking at the code and trying to reimplement
> it that way is right out.

I have to completely agree with Bill.

You can't just GPL something (other than BSD and rare other exceptions),
and I'm 100% in agreement with Red Hat on keeping everything GPL.

With that said, has anyone approached Sun about dual-licensing SMF?
If they are open to it, great.  If not, then don't even bother looking at
it (let alone avoid the code!).

[ Professional Side Note:
One of the reasons I have not done much Java other than required (largely
in the financial industry) is because of not only the license of it, but
most of the libraries -- even IBM's (which are no better).  It's also the
reason I'm a huge fan of Mono's GPL/LGPL/BSD compiler/library/classlibs. ]

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org