OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list]

Matthew Lenz matthew at nocturnal.org
Tue Jun 7 21:38:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 16:41 -0400, Sean wrote:
> On Tue, June 7, 2005 3:57 pm, Felipe Alfaro Solana said:
>

> > Don't see why they can be bad for my system: I've never had problems with
> > them (even when CONFIG_PREEMPT and CONFIG_4K_STACKS), have been using them
> > for more than 3 months with all unstable/testing kernel releases up to
> > 2.6.12-rc6 and performance is exceptional with them loaded.
>
> People should probably take the word of those who have been bringing Linux
> to the world for many years over someone who has been experimenting for 3
> months.
> For anyone with valuable data on their system, it's very bad advice to go
> anywhere near binary drivers.  For those with nothing worthwhile on their
> system, and no concept of how and why Linux was created, go nuts.
>
> Sean

The people who bring linux to the world need to stop bitching about
Nvidia who is the only game in town when it comes to commercial quality
video drivers for linux.  I've used Nvidia's binaries since they were
first released on dozens of systems running dozens of different kernels
and 4 generations of nvidia chipsets.  Never ONCE has their driver
caused instability in these systems.

Nvidia is way off topic on this board anyway.  People should ask nvidia
for support not the OS developers.  That is why they have a bulletin
board for asking questions and why they have a support email address on
their site.

Next time someone posts having problems with the driver send em to
nvidia's site.  Done.