OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list]

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Tue Jun 7 22:19:24 UTC 2005

Sean wrote:
> On Tue, June 7, 2005 5:38 pm, Matthew Lenz said:
  > If you're going to undermine the integrity of your system and the open
> source process at the same time, you're better off just going back and
> using Windows.  Actually, do whatever you want personally, but don't
> spread this bad advice here.

That's a very naive thing to say. You can't deny the fact that people want
graphics hardware acceleration for various reasons, whether it's games, video
apps or openGL development. Now F/OSS can't provide that, at least not yet,
and not well enough. Not everyone uses the NVidia driver by choice. And if you
think their driver is a pain to deal with, don't ever try to get a USB
wireless device working. I need this for one of my boxes and I have to deal
with the infamous linux-wlan driver, an absolute piece of garbage that doesn't
even implement the wireless extensions and is riddled with SMP race conditions
:-( Unfortunately, it's the only way to get some 3-year old USB wireless
receivers to work (anything newer isn't supported). Now you can't say it's my
fault for needing USB-based wireless connectivity (it's not my fault is the
media box i use has no PCI slots). I'm the first to agree it's all NVidia's
fault for not releasing their entire driver under the GPL. Maybe if the
companies that owned the most powerful Linux distros were to put some pressure
on them...

-denis