OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list] -- understanding the GPU market

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Jun 8 12:10:48 UTC 2005

On Mer 8 juin 2005 6:43, Bryan J. Smith a écrit :

> We're not talking about a product that is released and modern for 2-5
> years.  We're talking about a product that is _obsolete_ in less than
> _12_months_!

This is a very misleading statement.
The core driver architecture has a much longer lifetime.
Ati/NVidia are not adding a thin closed layer above a common core. They're
systematicaly bastardising this common core to avoid having to distingish
between the secret and public parts. In other words, they're lazy.

Graphic cards are not the only parts in a computer with a short lifetime.
Srangely other members of the industry have little problem standardising
the hardware interface.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot