OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list] -- understanding the GPU market

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Jun 8 20:59:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 03:49:37PM -0500, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
 > From: Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 > > Except the GeForce doesn't have any possibility of working 3d
 > > any time soon, whereas the X300 does have a good chance.
 >
 > You _do_ know that there is some DRI/UtahGLX for nVidia, correct?

The newest Nvidia card the utahGLX code supported last I looked
was TNT/GeForce256, which makes it pretty useless for any NVIDIA
card made in the last 4-5 years.

 > All I'm saying is that there's a "double standard" that is applied
 > to nVidia versus ATI, and that's what most of us are complaining
 > about.  It's like watching the same "double standard" applied
 > to Red Hat versus IBM, which makes me curious.  ;->

I'm not endorsing ATIs business methods / development decisions
over NVIDIAs.  The point I'm making is that of the two, the R300
is the most modern core with working 3D in opensource drivers.
There is no double standard. I dislike both binary drivers equally[*]

		Dave

[*] Well, actually, I dislike ATIs slightly more over the mess
they made of welding the kernel agpgart to their driver, but thats
moot for this discussion.