OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list] -- understanding the GPU market

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Jun 9 01:46:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 14:05 -0700, Per Bjornsson wrote:
> Do they actually have a matching feature set? ATI seems much more
> involved in the development of their 2D driver; as Dave Jones pointed
> out, it' just one guy apparently in his spare time for the nv driver.

I've heard differently.  Yes, there may be 1 point man.

> How sure are you about that? According to the DRI site it's an "rv370";
> as far as I can tell this seems to be more like a crippled r400 or so
> than the original r300s?

It's a R300-series.  I didn't mean an exact R300.
But no, it's not a R400-series variant.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->