mtune=nocona

kas kas11 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jun 9 09:28:30 UTC 2005

As I was educating myself on the intricacies of building rpms last
night,
I was just a little nonplussed to see the following scroll by, in
particular the last little bit:

CFLAGS='-O2 -g -pipe -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -m64
-mtune=nocona'

Of course, on through -m64 was as expected.  I'm just a bit surprised
that it didn't say mtune=k8 since it was definitely building on one ...
which begs the question ... is GCC (and hence the entire x86_64
distribution) being built this way?  What are the K8 performance
implications?  I've seen a few things that indicate that Nocona cores
running K8 code look pretty bad in some areas compared to optimized
code...however, I find nothing to indicate how nocona optimized code
runs on the K8.

Karen