Testing RPM dependencies [was Re: ESP Ghostscript 8.x for FC5]

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Jun 9 20:17:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 09:33 -0400, Bill Rugolsky Jr. wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 08:41:55AM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> > for file in $(rpm -q --whatrequires ghostscript); do echo "..." $file &&
> > ( rpm -q --requires$file | grep ghostscript; ); done
>
> I find it much easier to let rpm show me the dependencies:
>
> 	sudo rpm --test -e ghostscript
>
> I seem to recall hearing some noises at some point (perhaps from Jeff Johnson)
> that one ought not to do this, but I've never had a problem with it.

I end up using rpm -e --test to see what packages actually require
something as well, largely because rpm -e --whatrequires output is so
horribly misleading (it only lists explicit package dependencies, not
automatic).

Repoquery can show the reality easier than shell-script tricks and
multiple rpm runs:
[pmatilai at weasel yum-utils]$ ./repoquery.py --quiet --whatrequires
--alldeps ghostscript
scribus-0:1.2.1-5.x86_64
ghostscript-0:8.15-0.rc3.2.x86_64
system-config-printer-0:0.6.131-1.x86_64
fbida-fbgs-0:2.03-5.x86_64
ghostscript-gtk-0:8.15-0.rc3.2.x86_64
gimp-print-0:4.2.7-10.x86_64
libgnomeprint22-0:2.10.3-1.i386
ghostscript-devel-0:8.15-0.rc3.2.x86_64
libgnomeprint22-0:2.10.3-1.x86_64
TeXmacs-0:1.0.4.6-1.x86_64
gsview-0:4.6-10.x86_64
gnome-print-1:0.37-11.x86_64
ghostscript-fonts-0:5.50-13.noarch

OTOH it will list all packages on the yum package universe requiring
ghostscript, not just what you have installed. Supporting that is on my
todo-list, if only for this very reason (figuring out dependencies of
installed packages reliably without shellscripts or rpm -e --test).

	- Panu -