gnome-panel eats a lot of memory

Fri Jun 10 15:29:28 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 15:39 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 16:25 +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> > I noticed that the gnome-panel seems to have a memory leak. Every time
> > new a window is opened and closed again the memory usage grows.
>
> 	Not seeing this here and I've no idea why this might be happening - the
> applets which do anything related to open windows are in separate
> process (wnck-applet) so ...
>
> 	Any unusual applets on your panel (they'd have to be shlib applets) ?

Hmmm not really;
In the top panel the menu's and System Monitor 2.10.1, Notification Area
2.10.1, Clock 2.10.1, Volume Applet 2.10.1 and Window Selector 2.10.1.
In the bottom bar, Show Desktop Button 2.10.1, Windows List 2.10.1 and
Workspace Switcher 2.10.1.

> 	What windows are you opening ? How ?

Some how it seems to be related to the text in the window title or
something in that area. When i open Evince from the menu nothing happens
to the memory usage of gnome-panel. When i now open a PDF file with that
(empty) evince the memory usage of gnome-panel jumps up. If it open a
PDF from nautilus evince opens with the PDF and the memory usage of
gnome-panel jumps up.

the same thing seems to be the case with archive manager, when opened
from the menu nothing happens to gnome-panel memory usages, but when
double clicking a tar file in nautilus or open a new tar file, the
memory usage of gnome-panel jumps up.

On the other hand, opening a gnome-terminal and cd'ing around (that also
sets the window title) does nothing to the memory usage of gnome-panel.

> 	(Might be best to just move this to bugzilla)

Might be a good idea.

> Cheers,
> Mark.

- Erwin