gnome-panel eats a lot of memory

Damian Christey christey at csee.wvu.edu
Sat Jun 11 01:52:28 UTC 2005

> Some how it seems to be related to the text in the window title or
> something in that area. When i open Evince from the menu nothing happens
> to the memory usage of gnome-panel. When i now open a PDF file with that
> (empty) evince the memory usage of gnome-panel jumps up. If it open a
> PDF from nautilus evince opens with the PDF and the memory usage of
> gnome-panel jumps up.
>
> the same thing seems to be the case with archive manager, when opened
> from the menu nothing happens to gnome-panel memory usages, but when
> double clicking a tar file in nautilus or open a new tar file, the
> memory usage of gnome-panel jumps up.
>
> On the other hand, opening a gnome-terminal and cd'ing around (that also
> sets the window title) does nothing to the memory usage of gnome-panel.

Sounds to me like it has more to do with opening files with Gnome
programs than opening windows in general, which says to me
"gnome-recent", which is used by the panel.  How much of a leak are we
talking about?  More than would be expected for the menu item that it
adds for each opened file?

Bug number?
--
Damian Christey <christey at csee.wvu.edu>