OT: nVidia driver [was: Wish list] -- nVidia doesn't own a lot of the IP

Sean seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 11 15:35:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, June 11, 2005 12:00 pm, Bryan J. Smith said:

> I didn't introduce it.  Some people want to introduce their political
> agendas here, and I'm merely trying to show the other side.  I'm sure
> that's "annoying" at times, but I'm trying to let people know how to
> avoid being viewed as "community radicals" by others.

Bryan,

It is not a political agenda or radical to have concluded that open source
is a good thing.  Therefore, it is not radical or political to advocate
for it as a preference over closed-source solutions.

Branding someone a radical just because they advocate for one solution
over another is just plain nonsense.  Let's not worry too much about being
viewed as "community radicals"; lets just keep making the best open source
solutions we know how.  Those who see the benefits will follow; those who
don't, will do something else.

In the end, there is very little value to the open source community in
supporting an infestation of binary-hacks into the O/S, no matter how much
you personally believe in the functionality they add.

Cheers,
Sean