Where is it ? :)

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 13 16:02:09 UTC 2005

Jeff Pitman wrote:
> On Monday 13 June 2005 23:22, Sean Bruno wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 2005-06-13 at 23:18 +0800, Jeff Pitman wrote:
>>
>>>Kinda sucks to "help" when dl speed = 20 KB/s through torrent; but,
>>>a local ftp mirror = 150 KB/s.  Can we use local ftp mirrors as
>>>distributed copies in bittorrent?  I'm not all that conversant with
>>>the tool..
>>
>>Not to be critical, but my DSL connection(1.544) is maxed out on
>>these torrents.  I am seeing close to 190KB/s coming down and I am
>>uploading at close to 30KB/S to the torrent.  Maybe you are not
>>waiting long enough for the torrent to really get going?
>

> Been running for 33 minutes with an improvement of only 10KB/s since my
> last email.  Does it need to go longer?  (I have 8Mb DSL, should be
> around 500KB/s to max the line)
>
> MRTG shows bandwidth spikes on 1:
>
> http://symbiont.shacknet.nu/mrtg/
>
> I feel like the pipe is saturated doing something.  Not sure what.  SSH
> is slower than dog going out (no QoS setup...).  Ftp of unrelated file
> is down to 16KB/s.  Technically, it shouldn't be.
>
> I'm noticing this on occasion:
>
>  error(s):[23:26:33] Traceback (most recent call last):
> 	      [23:42:55] Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> I think the kashmir module is tripping up on assertion where Node !=
> NULL or something.  I don't dare restart it at this point...  It's
> still downloading!!

A restart may actually get you a different set of peers and better
download speeds. I'd be inclined to try it myself. You'll not be
starting the download again, and will just lose the "chunks" (usually
256K in size) that were in progress at the time you stopped.

Someone on fedora-list is getting the tracebacks too. Which version of
bittorrent are you using, and where did you get it?

Paul.