bad practice: not reading the manpage

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Jun 14 09:40:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 09:19 +0100, Tim Waugh wrote:

> ...although, having actually read it, there already *is* such a
> warning:
>
>        --del name
>               The service is removed from chkconfig management, and
>               any symbolic links in /etc/rc[0-6].d which pertain to
>               it are removed.
>
>               Note that future package installs for this service may
>               run chkconfig --add, which will re-add such links. To
>               disable a service, run chkconfig name off.

I think that was added to the man page when I had this exact same issue
and the man page wasn't clear.

imho another solution is to simply have upgrade to absolutely nothing
with chkconfig, other than checking to see if the service needs to be
restarted. That way if --del was used, it won't --add it again.

Install use --add
upgrade do nothing (other than restart service if on)