bad practice: services that are automatically re-enabled

Brad Smith usernamenumber at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 00:04:05 UTC 2005

> 'chkconfig foo off' is for users and package install scripts for most
> services.
>
> Anyone disagree?

AFAIK 'off' and 'on' should never be necessary in an install script.
The "#chkconfig:" comment at the top of each service's init script
specifies which runlevels it is on-by-default in (or '-' if it is
always off-by-default).

On a related note, to check on the current behavior of FC scripts, I
pulled all of the FC4 (no extras or third-party) install/uninstall
scripts out of the fedoratracker.org database and did some grepping.
There are lots of --add and --del instances, but no 'on' or 'off'
commands, so I think FC already complies with a reasonable standard.
I'm guessing, then, that the OP is either using --del when 'off' would
be more appropriate or using third-party RPMs that do things they
oughtn't in the scripts.

--Brad