Audit / Netlink slowness

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sat Jun 18 04:52:06 UTC 2005

Steve G wrote:

>>pam-0.79-10
>>audit-libs-0.9.3-1
>>coreutils-5.2.1-31
>>kernel-2.6.11-1.1240_FC4
>
> These are all good. I released a new audit package that has 2 syscalls removed.
> You should see a performance improvement with audit-libs-0.9.5.
>
> [...snip...]
>
> I don't doubt your claims. I have made improvements with the assumption that your
> results are reproducable. audit-libs-0.9.5 should behave better for you. I will
> also release 0.9.6 today and see if I can get some timing information. I am using
> a special kernel that has all the audit patches applied so my results may not
> hold for a FC4 kernel.

I'm testing again with latest audit-libs (0.9.7-1) and
a newer kernel (2.6.11-1.1383_FC5).

I'm happy to report that the strange delays I reported
are gone.  Commands like su and ssh are very fast now.

However, this is not the same machine I tested with the
first time.  It's an x86_64... and I also noticed that
I've compiled the kernel without CONFIG_AUDITSYSCALL.

I'm not sure if it may be important, but I can't reboot
right now, so I'll retest later.

> Thanks for bringing this performance issue up.

Thanks to *you* for fixing it!

\X/  http://www.develer.com/