YourUpsteamsVeryImportantPackage

Mike MacCana mikem at cyber.com.au
Mon Jun 20 13:02:53 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 10:18 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:

> :-) Don't worry. This is not the final name. It's only the py-filename.

Yaay.

To be honest, I like 'servicemanager'. Or 'startup' or 'start' if it's
replacing init.

Good non-interactive user apps have simple names - eg, sendmail, syslog,
etc. Makes it easy to work out what it is they do. As opposed to say
'kudzu' 'anaconda' etc.

rc stands for runcommand IIRC, but hardly anyone remembers that, and the
name 'run command' doesn't mean anything that's necessarily to do with
startup.

Anyone remember the 'starting anaconda, please wait...' message? Now the
distro actually puts a description beside it, and says the same thing.
Nice (I'm the one that suggested it) but it'd have been better if they
called it 'installer' or similar.

Mike