reverted back to old browser start functionality + startup notification rant

Matthew Lenz matthew at nocturnal.org
Tue Jun 21 19:20:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 15:05 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 6/21/05, Matthew Lenz <matthew at nocturnal.org> wrote:
> > What gives? I would assume they all execute
> > the same script right?
> Not...exactly. The menu item calls the htmlview shell script which in
> turn pulls the name of the executable to run from gconf. Reading over
> the htmlview script as called from the launcher all it ends up doing
> is calling firefox with no arguments.
>
> When called with no arguments firefox is itself choosing to open a new
> blank window.
> and the hourglass timeout happens.
>
> When htmlview called with a real url as an argument even from a
> launcher  the firefox follows the tabbing preferences are followed...
> and no hourglass timeout is seen.
>
> whatever is happening is something internal to the /usr/bin/firefox
> script which differentiates
> between the case with an argument and without an argument and which is
> confusing the startup notification process.
>
> -jef

That may be the case.. but changing the panel icon to just call the
firefox script directly (which is the same script referenced in the
application prefercences) results in no startup notification.  What any
of that means I have no idea.  All I know is its pretty unprofessional
looking to have something on the desktop, that with a single click, you
can expose a weakness in the way that desktop functions. :)