debuginfo

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 22 05:04:11 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 21:40, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 21:35 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 21:20 -0700, David Kewley wrote:
> > > Some debuginfo rpms have snuck into updates-released.  Sneaky
> > > sneakers...
> > >
> > > Speaking of debuginfo, is the idea of keeping them *out* of repos
> > > that if you want to debug, then you need to rebuild & install
> > > your own-built debuginfo package?
> >
> > No - I've been specifically asked to install them when reporting a
> > bug. I think the idea is to not have yum have to chew so hard on
> > headers for packages that are only needed when something goes
> > wrong.
>
> yum doesn't read the headers for every package anymore.
>
> but by taking the debuginfo packages out and putting them in their
> own repo we make the xml smaller.

Aha.  Our local mirror doesn't sync the debug/ directory, so I had
missed it.  (I just looked at download.fedora.redhat.com to see the
canonical structure.)

It looks like something got out of sync on ourlocal mirror, because yum
is reporting some debuginfo packages as being available even though
they aren't actually in the repo.  Disregard my original complaint
about sneakiness -- it's a local mirror problem I believe.

David