FC4 kernel performance

Paul A Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 22 13:01:59 UTC 2005

Peter Backlund wrote:

>The debugging should be taken out of the release kernels, yes. But RAID
>support is modularized, and I'd imagine that the SELinux overhead is
>incredibly small when it's turned off. The same goes for exec-shield. I
>don't really know what the other 19 security features are
>though :-)

    I run RAID 1 on my Linux machines at home.  Perhaps Seagate is
benefitting from my bad experiences with 1999-2001 vintage Maxtor
drives,  but it's cheap protection from problems that can waste a lot of
time.  (As compared to $700 tape backup drive that needs $250 worth of
tapes to back up a $100 drive and takes an hour to do it.)

    RAID 1 speeds up the boot process considerably and helps with random
access read I/O,  which gives a noticable performance boost for ordinary
desktop tasks;  I know PC enthusiasts who swear by RAID 0 for pure
performance aspects...  One of these days I'm going to build a RAID 0+1
machine for database work.