FC4 kernel performance

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Jun 22 17:28:06 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 05:41am, Peter Backlund wrote:
[SNIP]
> The debugging should be taken out of the release kernels, yes. But RAID
> support is modularized, and I'd imagine that the SELinux overhead is
> incredibly small when it's turned off. The same goes for exec-shield. I
> don't really know what the other 19 security features are
> though :-)

Even though the RAID support is built as a module, I still always see the
kernel trying to close down md (and it takes about 5-10 seconds) every time I
shut down my notebook.  It should, at least, be more obvious how to get rid
of the monitoring daemon and truly remove md support from the running kernel.

Better yet, why not unload md in rc.sysinit if there are no devices?

> > And thats the point. One kernel for the desktop and one for all server
> > users, which you select at the installation or later. Is that too much?
> > And we never get these "slow Fedora kernel questions" again... ;)
>
> That means six extra kernels to support, build, debug, and handle
> external modules for: {i586,i686,ppc} X {UP,SMP}.

I would assume you meant {i686,AMD64,ppc,ppc64}{up,smp}.  Is this not what we
have now?

I like the idea of a "desktop/laptop" kernel and a server kernel being
provided.  I would suggest building a "near-vanilla" kernel with all the
extra stuff that "Joe User" would never use stripped out.  Still build RAID
as a module, but do not include anything patches that are not security or
disfunctionality fixing.  I can always build something extra as an external
module RPM, if I want.

I guess that means that I am posing another idea; how about building the
feature adding patches as separate RPMs?  It wouldn't be hard to alter the
existing kernel .spec file to build those as "external modules" and package
each on it's own.

On the topic of debugging, I think others have already stated it well.  I
would just like to see it be easy to install the debugging (read "install 1
RPM") support when I need it and then rpm -e it out after I'm done.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor