pwdutils

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Jun 22 20:41:45 UTC 2005

> Matthew Miller wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 01:04:33AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >

> >>The stock answer is to package it for Extras repository. So here you go
> >>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras
> >>

> >Kind of hard -- Extras packages aren't supposed to conflict with core, and
> >this appears to be a shadow-utils replacement.
> >

> Time to revive Fedora Alternatives perhaps?

I think so. It's a good place to test potential replacements for
technology in core that can't be tested in Extras due to this very
reason - conflicts.

It also could potentially be used to test some neat ideas that modify
core products, such as Elektra (which I think is a good idea ...)

The downside is it would require infrastructure which costs money and
time and the ROI for Red Hat may not be worth it.