FC4 kernel performance

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Jun 23 01:54:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 19:41 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 22 juin 2005 à 19:31 +0200, Marcus Hartig a écrit :
>
> > For a private Linux user who uses only a GIMP, firefox, evince, Ooo,
> > thunderbird and some games and with no important data on the disk, there
> > is no need for special security things, RAID and Co. in times of cheap
> > DVD burners to secure data.
>
> ROFL. You really think your typical user will do regular backups ?
> Hardware availability means nothing - cd burners proved it. RAID is good
> because it's painless security (and I know it's not the same thing but
> at least once it's here it needs no human intervention at all)

While I agree with you about users not backing up I don't see how raid
helps in this situation.

I'm assuming you're talking about some sort of redundant raid (for
protecting data), and not striped raid (for speed improvements).  While
this is nice for situations where a HDD might fail, I don't see how this
offers security in terms of data damage based on viruses, worms, malware
or intrusions.  It doesn't matter how many 'redundant' drives you have
if they all carry (in essence) the same information.  Two buggers copies
of the same file are stiff two buggered copies.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"