Cairo [was: rawhide report: 20050621 changes]

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Thu Jun 23 12:51:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 08:13:08PM +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Apart from that: does it work or does it break all sorts of things?

In addition to the Firefox problem already reported, I noticed
differences in font rendering - but then I am one of those whiners that
complain about Arial being a cheap imitation of Helvetica.

The panel seems to have hinting enabled, even if it's disabled in my
preferences. I use non-standard fonts and they look much better if no
hints are applied. You can see the same with Bitstream Charter (part of
fonts-xorg-base).

The second curious thing I noticed is that changes in hinting in the
font preferences are not reflected on screen in realtime as they used
to. Actually, #2 might be the explanation for #1: is hinting enabled by
default, if gconfd is not running yet? It could be that the panel gets
started before gconfd and thus gets stuck with whatever are the defaults
for font hinting (the font family is right, though).

--
Rudi