FC4 kernel performance

Rudi Chiarito nutello at sweetness.com
Thu Jun 23 15:46:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 11:08:25AM -0400, Paul A Houle wrote:
> desktop systems in a deade.  Linux 2.6 is ready,  but is SELinux?

It depends on what you are doing. With some floating-point intensive
code running on a cluster of FC3 dual Opterons, I wasn't able to measure
SELinux overhead in a reliable manner. It seemed to be lost in the noise
and even less of a factor than differences in compilers. Eventually we
decided to keep SELinux enabled, as the cluster is soon going to be
running jobs on behalf of users. There's a good chance that the
applications will end up using and relying on custom SELinux contexts
and policies, especially if we can get rid of the few dependencies on
Windows server machines that are left.

Code that is more disk- and network-intensive should be of course result
in different observations.

--
Rudi